Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Gear


My shopping strategy is self described “seek and destroy.”  Meaning I know I don’t need to find the perfect thing.  Say I am out shopping for a gift for the boss.  Ten minutes, tops.  Birthday gift for wifey, 15, and that includes the card.  Sounds insensitive, sure, but you see something you know she would like, get it and stop fussing about if there is something she would like better.  I know she loved the microwave egg poacher and the happy fourth birthday card she got four our fifth anniversary.  My point is I am a fast shopper, unless I am shopping for running stuff.

I am a fan of running stuff.  Gear.  I like Clima-dry and dry-fit and SmartWool and hats and water bottles and SOCKS, man do I love socks.  I got my new job and to celebrate I went out and replaced my threadbare Nike socks with some Asics low profile ones.  I also bought a pair of SmartWools that I have not even tried out.  These I just like.  They are a little expensive, but take some out for a test run, and I think you will be sold.  I also have various technical tees, tanks, underwear, shorts, pants, gloves, etc.  The niftiest thing I have is this water bottle you can strap to your hand.  Nathan makes it.  Holds about a pint, perfect for me, it has an id card, and a little pouch the exact size of an energy gel with a little clip for a key.  A little bit like a running purse.  Wait, exactly like a running purse.  Mine even matches my shoes.  The only thing I think I might be missing is a visor.  I have, what I would consider, a lot of gear.  It is handy, not top of the line, but it works and I know I cannot justify getting anything else. 

I still shop.  Frequently, I will park at the end of the mall that has the Dick’s and take 20 minutes poking around.  What I find amazing is the amount of stuff that is out there.  The gimmicks and tricks astound me.  Some of the stuff is true, water vs sports drink on a run over an hour.  You have got to dig deep on the web to find out how to most effectively use the stuff.  Many of the drinks were designed to keep athletes, real athletes, going during a foot ball workout in south Florida, or a marathoner out there in the marathon.  A four mile run does not justify a quart of Gatorade.

Same kind of tricks go for gear.  Sometime you read an advertisement and think, “If I don’t get this shirt I will die from heat stroke.”  Most likely not true.  And if you but the wrong kind of shoe your feet are not going to fall off, and you probably won’t damage them permanently.  Just make sure they fit and get out there.  If they look cool with a sweet pair of socks, big bonus.

I still shop.  I have a lot of gear.  Once I find a visor it will most likely be time for new socks, or shoes, or who knows.  How will I know if I need it, if I don’t shop for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment