Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Tragedy of Time


Chatting with a colleague this week made me realize there is a downside to competing for time.  She was asking about some time off and was I going to do anything fun.  Yes, I usually take the day after a race off.  A recovery day.  Just in case something major happened or I have that weird little metabolic issue kick up; it makes me dizzy.  Or, the most likely culprit, I am hung-over.

She is a runner, goes out for thirty minutes every other day and enjoys the run.  Just for the run’s sake.  I am a runner, too.  Each of my runs has a purpose.  To make me faster.  She shook her head and said she could not do that, she just likes to run.  There might be something to that.  She is never dissatisfied with a run.  I frequently am.  She is never preoccupied with a pre-race meal or a taper or the pace with which an interval is run.  I am.  She is never disappointed by her effort.

I have gotten so preoccupied with setting a new PR, placing where I want to place, and maintaining an even pace, I have lost my perspective.  I am training for a race where I feel I could have done better last year.  During my final tempo trainer, I bonked.  It was hot, I had not eaten or drank properly before going out, and I went out too fast.  Shortly after half way I stopped and backed way off willing myself to just finish the run.  I ended the run ten seconds slower than last year’s race time, and I had screwed it up.  I have got to remember that I am now achieving times on a messed up trainer that, three years ago, I would have never believed they would be associated with my name.

I have also lost sight of the beauty of running.  Being the only man in an office of women for three years taught me one thing.  Beauty can have a purpose.  I can have a purpose to my running.  I can’t lose sight that, while my performance might be less than my expectation, I am still doing something beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment