Thursday, September 15, 2011

Where am I?

I started to do a post on Presque Isle and became frustrated.  Frustrated with the fact that there is not a lot here.  I have not done a post on where I was for a while and I thought it time.  I am heading south, still, on the Aroostook Scenic Highway on Route 11.  West of Oakfield, north of Patten but nearing I95. 


Here approximately.  At some point I have crossed out of Aroostook County and into Penobscot.  Being on a scenic highway I decided that I will post a few pictures.  Not of me, but of where I am. While searching for those, I found this about Aroostook County:

When Maine coined the slogan "The Way Life Should Be," someone from Aroostook County was clearly on the committee. We are like a foreign nation up here in The County (what the rest of Maine calls our huge chunk of moose-blessed real estate)-- closer to Canada than any significant population of fellow-Americans. And we (proudly) are not of the times. We grow potatoes and look for the longest checkout line at the store so we'll have more time to chat. We grow potatoes and watch the Parade of Lights come down Main Street in Presque Isle on a -10° night. We grow potatoes and probably have more churches per capita than any other place else on earth because the spirit of Maine individuality dictates that theological schisms be resolved by one party splintering off and starting a new religion. We're friendly, tolerant, helpful, grateful to be alive and appreciative of our beautiful surroundings. We're also honest and trusting, the way people should be.

I like the sentence with "theological schisms."  Here are the relevant photos of what I found.










Notice how I have the sunset at the end?  That's the way it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment